Saturday, March 6, 2010

BEDREST... WHAT?!?!

On Tuesday I woke up went to the gym and went swimming (the Dr had told me I could), then went and ran a couple of errands. At around 2 I started noticing that I was having contractions that were coming pretty frequently. My friend Kristin (who is also pregnant) and I finished up with the errands and came home. I drank about a liter of water and put my feet up trying to get them to stop. No such luck. I started timing them and they were coming every 7 minutes. I tried taking a shower to relax and that made them come every 5 minutes. I called the Dr and he said to go to Labor and Delivery to be evaluated. When we got to the hospital they put me on the monitors and Kennedi went nuts!! She hates the monitors and starting kicking them non-stop. My contractions were still every 5 minutes. The Dr came in and ordered some tests and terbutaline to get the contractions to stop. Because I have placenta previa they did a sono to see if the placenta had moved any. It had not. Kennedi was measuring right on her dates and weighed 1 pound and 12 ounces!!! I was sooo proud!. They ran a fetal fibronectin test which came back negative!! That test is done to see if the hormone that gets released before the baby is born is present. It should not show up at this point unless I will be having her within the next two weeks. My blood work came back that I am anemic. Because I have a blood disorder that means I can't take iron. So if after further testing it shows I'm still really anemic then they will have to give me a blood transfusion. 


After all the testing they moved me to a bigger room and kept me over night. The contractions stopped around 2 am and then at 650 am they started coming every 7 minutes again and then within 30 minutes they were coming every 3. The Dr and the nurse came in and said we were not going home with that happening. So another shot of terbutaline and starting on oral terbutaline is what they ordered. That knocked the contractions out for awhile. Then at 3 they started coming randomly, which is ok. The Dr came in and asked if I wanted to go home, of course I said YES, as long as I was safe to go. So he sent me home on the medications and modified bedrest, meaning I can get up and go to the bathroom, take a shower once a day, and sit up to eat as long as I'm not contracting bad. 


I came home and have been having contractions every once in awhile. The medications make my heart rate jump up to the 120's and even 130's today. It makes me nervous and shaky! But it's all completely worth it as long as she stays in there for awhile longer.


I went back for a follow up appointment yesterday. He told me that because I still have contractions when I sit up for more than 15 minutes that I will be on bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy! I asked him if I did like I was supposed and stayed in bed, how long did he think that I could keep her in. He said that because of the previa that it would depend on when I started bleeding. If/when that happens they will have to go in by c-section and get Kennedi out if the bleeding is too bad. If it's only a small bleed they will move me to the hospital for the remainder of the time and keep me on complete bed rest there. He told me that for now his goal was to keep her put until 32 weeks. Long term goal is to keep her in till 35. So it looks like she will be an April or May baby. He did a glucose test and an iron workup to see how anemic I am right now and will make a decision on Monday if I need a transfusion. 

We have been really blessed with a great support system. Michael's step mom has moved in with us for the remainder of the pregnancy so she can help me. Since I'm not allowed to get off the couch during the day or out of bed at night it's really nice to have the help. We have had numerous friends and family come by and visit. I love having the company to talk to. I'm not good at learning not to do things. I joined netflix and friends have brought books, the hubby got me a new sudoku book. I've got the laptop and tv going all the time. It's going to be a long ride but it will be well worth it when she is healthy and closer to term. We are keeping our prayers going non-stop for our little baby! I think the only way I'm going to make it through this is with wonderful support and a positive attitude.


I'm 25 and a half weeks right now. So we have at least 6 to 9 and a half weeks left.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Amanda,

I am so excited that you are having a wonderful baby girl. I know you went through alot to get here. It stinks that you are on bedrest, but I will keep you and Kennedi in my prayers. I have a really good friend that was on bedrest from 19wks to 32wks so I am sure you are going crazy. I don't know if you scrapbook, but that is about the only thing that got her through hers. Hope all turns out well and she stays put until week 35!

Michael & Amanda Soape said...

thank you for the well wishes